Hong Kong Economic and Trade Office, USA
Hong Kong
News Release

The following is issued on behalf of the Judiciary:

Intellectual Property List in Court of First Instance of High Court to be established


For more information, please contact

Melissa Ng in New York City: (212) 752 3320
Wing Yan Tong in San Francisco: (415) 835 9315

Daniel McAtee in Washington, D.C.: (202) 238 6360

May 6, 2019 - The Judiciary announced that the Intellectual Property List in the Court of First Instance of the High Court is established today.

The spokesman for the Judiciary said, “There has been a demand by the legal profession for the High Court to set up a specialist list on intellectual property (IP) cases. The Judiciary also sees the need to set up such list for better protection of IP rights.

“With the setting up of the List, specialist Judges will be assigned to handle IP cases. Management of the court cases will also be enhanced. This will hopefully reduce the costs and time needed for the resolution of disputes involving IP matters”, the spokesman added.

The Judiciary has consulted various stakeholders, including IP practitioners and the legal profession. The responses are positive and they are supportive of the establishment of the List.

A few new or amended Practice Directions (PDs) relating to the detailed operation of the List have come into effect. Interested practitioners and members of the public are welcome to visit the Judiciary's website www.judiciary.hk for details of the PDs.

2019 © | Important notices       Privacy policy      Accessibility                                                                                                                                                    Last Revision Date: May 8, 2019


Web For All W3C Web Accessibility initiative    
This website adopts web accessibility design and conforms to the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 Level AA standard. Should you have any enquiries or comments on its accessibility, please contact us by phone or email.